RV towing

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
Very curious to know how the Lightning will keep the rv batteries charged up for camping and how the electric fridge will work when driving long distances. With gas engines, the truck recharges the batteries while you drive or plug in the 12v outlet. Thinking long term camping here for a week or more. Usually both of my batteries would be dead after 4 days and needing a recharge.

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
I did a bit of research and couldn't find any info on whether the Lightning can recharge the trailer batteries while towing, but it seems that under ideal towing conditions (flat roads, etc), the max towing distance is between 220-300 miles before the truck needs a recharge. So there goes any travel for snow birds who usually plan to travel 8-12 hours in a day.

Iceman

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I did a bit of research and couldn't find any info on whether the Lightning can recharge the trailer batteries while towing, but it seems that under ideal towing conditions (flat roads, etc), the max towing distance is between 220-300 miles before the truck needs a recharge. So there goes any travel for snow birds who usually plan to travel 8-12 hours in a day.
That's definitely not good for the long road trip. Plus, it will be years until there are charging stations all over the country for all these EVs

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
That's definitely not good for the long road trip. Plus, it will be years until there are charging stations all over the country for all these EVs
I read that it will take more than overnight on a 115v plug to charge this truck as well, dang...

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
Actually I misspoke on the towing distance, looks like the 220-300 miles is regular driving, towing a trailer dependent on weight will be a lot less. The good thing is the advanced electronics allow you to enter the approx weight of your trailer to get the est mileage.

Iceman

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Actually I misspoke on the towing distance, looks like the 220-300 miles is regular driving, towing a trailer dependent on weight will be a lot less. The good thing is the advanced electronics allow you to enter the approx weight of your trailer to get the est mileage.
That milage distance is not very enticing compared to what these Teslas, Lucids, etc are now able to get up now. I know it will get better as more of the advancement of technology goes with the truck, so to me, having this truck will be more of a "around town" type for now. We will probably see the generator market explode when these come out for the long travels. 🤪

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
That milage distance is not very enticing compared to what these Teslas, Lucids, etc are now able to get up now. I know it will get better as more of the advancement of technology goes with the truck, so to me, having this truck will be more of a "around town" type for now. We will probably see the generator market explode when these come out for the long travels. 🤪
I think Hybrids will be a better choice, until the nuclear reactor F150 debut's.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It has to be able to tow as much as or if not more then a normal v6 ecoboast f150 due to the Lightnings massive torque from the batteries/motors.