Ford F-150 Lightning indicates a 472-mile range during a test drive

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-front-three-quarters.jpg

Ford maybe not telling us everything about how powerful the battery life range really is. A YouTuber named Marques Brownlee, a.k.a. MKBHD, revealed that it could attain more than 450 miles of range. There’s new supporting evidence, which, if true, would mean that when the F-150 Lightning hits the roads, it could be ahead of the competition.

In July 2021, InsideEVs hitched a ride in a Ford F-150 Lightning prototype with Darren Palmer, and it was not in the prototype from MKBHD’s video in May 2021. Palmer, who is the general manager of Ford’s BEV division, did the driving. This prototype’s touchscreen indicated a 472-mile range estimate when the battery was at 100% SoC. Palmer said that the final F-150 Lightning that goes to customers will be so accurate on the range estimate that the deviation will be just about 5% even when trailering or transporting cargo.

Ford is targeting 300 miles of EPA-est. range from the F-150 Lightning. The infotainment system of the prototype MKBHD saw in person showed a range of 367 miles when the battery was “about eightyish percent full.” Note that Brownlee’s F-150 Lightning had an empty load bed, and Ford computes the targeted EPA est. 300-mile range with 1,000 pounds of payload, as Palmer told Insider in May 2021. However, the company does not use this method to estimate the fuel efficiency of the gas-powered F-150.

Last edited:

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
Probably can with the extra battery package, otherwise the max is 300. You'll also have to get one of the higher up packages to get the extended batteries unless you're a contractor. Not sure why Ford is doing this, but I would imagine most of these trucks will be artisan use.

Iceman

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Probably can with the extra battery package, otherwise the max is 300. You'll also have to get one of the higher up packages to get the extended batteries unless you're a contractor. Not sure why Ford is doing this, but I would imagine most of these trucks will be artisan use.
It all reminds me of how Tesla started. Their battery life was so short compared to what they are capable now

Coronaraptor

Reaction score
It all reminds me of how Tesla started. Their battery life was so short compared to what they are capable now
As more manufacturers get on board, I am confident the battery life will double in the next 5 years. Whether they accomplish that with battery or charging technology, or both.

Iceman

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
As more manufacturers get on board, I am confident the battery life will double in the next 5 years. Whether they accomplish that with battery or charging technology, or both.
For sure. Plus so much money will be vested into electric, since the plan is to eliminate gas powered vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondpoIgh