2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Assembly

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-Pre-Production-Rouge-Electric-Vehicle-Center-Exterior-002-Front-Thre...jpg

The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning is inching closer to its spring launch, and quite a few pre-production models have already been produced at the brand new Ford Rouge Electric Vehicle Center. However, the process of assembling this all-electric pickup is certainly a lot different than what we’ve become accustomed to, as we can see in this video from FoMoCo itself that was recently posted to TikTok.

The short clip shows a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning going through the process of assembly, starting out with the body, which rolls in on an autonomous sled, as there are no assembly lines at this particular plant. From there, we see a worker install the completed dashboard, followed by a windshield, door panels, and the bed before the whole thing is lowered down on top of the chassis, which contains the battery pack and electric motors, as well as suspension components and other bits and pieces. Finally, the pickup’s “mega” frunk is installed, putting a bow on this process.

https://www.tiktok.com/video/7072447984784379179
Already one of the most considered electrified vehicles on the market, 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning production will be ramped up significantly in the coming years to meet higher than expected demand. The first batch of EV pickups has already been scheduled for production, while the next batch of order conversions is expected to begin this summer.

The F-150 Lightning – which utilizes the largest lightweight aluminum battery enclosure currently on the market – recently beat its initial range estimates (at least when equipped with the extended range battery) when the truck’s official EPA ratings were released just a couple of weeks ago.

Reaction score
The Rouge River complex was, and is, a historic site where Henry Ford implemented his production line concept and theory.

Seems to me the innovation was well planned.

Reaction score
I'm on the fence even though my vehicle usage needs have changed.

I used to haul heavy, drive long distances and roam around in the woods of the PNW quite aways from anything remotely resembling a charging station.

These days it's mostly 10 - 30 mile trips in and around the area. There will still be road trips but the big heavy loads are a thing of the past.

I will also be doing some over-landing far and away from civilization so I have a heavy case of Range Anxiety to deal with. :eek:

However I am considering one that can haul a load and be my short distance runner. I think the Lightning might just be the ticket. (y)

Iceman

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm on the fence even though my vehicle usage needs have changed.

I used to haul heavy, drive long distances and roam around in the woods of the PNW quite aways from anything remotely resembling a charging station.

These days it's mostly 10 - 30 mile trips in and around the area. There will still be road trips but the big heavy loads are a thing of the past.

I will also be doing some over-landing far and away from civilization so I have a heavy case of Range Anxiety to deal with. :eek:

However I am considering one that can haul a load and be my short distance runner. I think the Lightning might just be the ticket. (y)
For sure! I am with you on the range anxiety. Especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere with plenty of charge left. The advancements that these auto makers are getting better and better everyday. I just can’t wait for mine to finally start getting built. 😎

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lightspeed